The process of Dye Sublimation is when a 100% polyester or high polyester content garment is decorated with special fabric dyes. The garments are decorated using the Dye Sublimation process which involved a special printer, special inks and a heat transfer process. Dye Sublimation can be accomplished with either an over sized industrial clam shell heat press or a roll to roll sublimation heat press. Both pieces of equipment are specialized and expensive so when seeking a qualified dye sublimation printer, be sure to ask them about their experience level and insist on seeing samples of their work.
Some of the advantages of using Dye Sublimation as a printing method are:
1. VERY vibrant colors, bright neons, black blacks and crisp color separations and definitions.
2. The ability to print all over the garment from edge to edge.
3. Virtually unlimited artistic license. Photos, patterns and detailed elements can be printed on garments
Some of the disadvantages of using Dye Sublimation as a printing method are:
1. The cost compared to screen printing or other decorating methods.
2. Each garment must be 100% polyester or have a high polyester content
3. Speed of delivery. Sublimated garments often require a lot of time to complete due to the nature of the printing process
The process of Sublimation is not new, in fact, it’s one of the oldest garment decorating methods available. It lost popularity because until recently very few people were interested in 100% polyester garments. However, with the advent of new polyesters that feel like cotton and the branding efforts of giants like Nike, Under Armour and Adidas, polyester has made a serious comeback, and as a result, so has sublimation printing.
If you have every seen those eye popping all over prints, then you’ve seen Sublimation. AMBRO Manufacturing specializes in custom sublimation printing. If you are looking for a Dye Sublimation vendor, then please consider giving us a call (908) 806-8337 or email us.